Saturday, July 6, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Lucy A. Snyder

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Lucy A. Snyder Note from Nayad: The series continues. This week and next I'll post interviews of the authors contributing to WHAT FATES IMPOSE: Tales of Divination. RECOGNIZE: I am working with some of the most fun and interesting people in the speculative fiction field. I hope you enjoy what they have to say!

As of this morning we have only eight more days to go on the Kickstarter Fundraising Campaign for WHAT FATES IMPOSE. We're up to $3,550 from 144 Beloved Backers, but we still need some help to get to $5,000!

If you'd like to help out, telling your friends is free and easy by clicking here, and there are reward levels from $1 on up at our Kickstarter page.


(Photo by Michelle Pendergrass)
 
Lucy A. Snyder is the Bram Stoker Award-winning author of the novels Spellbent, Shotgun Sorceress, and Switchblade Goddess, and the collections Sparks and Shadows, Chimeric Machines, and Installing Linux on a Dead Badger. Her writing has appeared in Strange Horizons, Weird Tales, Hellbound Hearts, Dark Faith, Chiaroscuro, GUD, and Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet.

Here's Lucy, letting you in on her thoughts about divination and a bunch of her diverse interests! *a triumphant fanfare of trumpets*

Do you believe in divination?

I like the idea of divination, and I love divination objects such as tarot cards. In the rare instances in which I'm having trouble figuring out a character, I will do a tarot card reading for him or her. Often that will give me interesting insights I was missing for the character.

Which of your characters is your favorite?

My favorite character is Jessie Shimmer, the protagonist of my novels Spellbent, Shotgun Sorceress, and Switchblade Goddess. She’s flawed, but she has a good heart, and she never gives up.

Tell me about your travels.

I haven’t traveled nearly as much as I’ve wanted to! I’ve been all over the U.S. and parts of Canada, and I’ve been through England, western Europe, and southern Italy. My trip to Mexico was so short it doesn’t really count. I’d love to go to Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

What kind of music speaks to you?

I mostly listen to hard rock -- Tool, L7, NIN and Lacuna Coil are favorites -- but when I write I prefer movie soundtracks (the Hellraiser, Tron: Legacy and The Last Temptation of Christ soundtracks get heavy rotation in my iTunes playlist) or electronic music like Juno Reactor.

Do you still watch cartoons?

Absolutely! My husband and I are big fans of “Adventure Time” and “Making Fiends”. We are also huge fans of Hayao Miyazaki’s animated movies.

If you could collaborate with another author, who would it be?

I love the energy that comes from collaboration. I had a lot of fun co-authoring A Glimpse of Darkness with Lara Adrian, Stacia Kane, Harry Connolly, and Kelly Meding (our group's world building was the most enjoyable part). Aside from writing a novel with my husband Gary A. Braunbeck, I’d love to write something with Seanan McGuire or her alter ego Mira Grant.

If you could put one of your characters in another author's world and have your character interact with their characters, whose would it be? And how would that go?

I’d love to put Miko (the antagonist in Switchblade Goddess) into the world of Clive Barker’s Cenobites. I’m not sure who would ultimately win, but Miko vs. Pinhead would be pretty epic.

Are you passionate about a cause or charity?

I’m passionate about education and learning. I’m also passionate about equality and trying to help make our world less biased against people who are seen as Other, whether that’s because of their gender, ethnicity, gender identity, or sexuality.
*
Only eight days left until the WHAT FATES IMPOSE Fundraising Campaign succeeds or fails on July 14, 2013. It's all or nothing!

(That URL is http://bit.ly/kickfate.)


Become a Beloved Backer on Kickstarter!

*
WHAT FATES IMPOSE Author Series

No comments:

Post a Comment