Tuesday, July 9, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Jamie Lackey

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Jamie Lackey Note from Nayad: The series continues. This week I'll post interviews with authors contributing to my speculative fiction anthology, WHAT FATES IMPOSE: Tales of Divination. If you want to read weird stories about fortune-telling, this is the book for you. I hope you enjoy these author interviews!

As of this morning we have only five more days to go on the Kickstarter Fundraising Campaign for WHAT FATES IMPOSE. We're up to $4,116 from 171 Beloved Backers. That's 82%, but we still need some help to get to $5,000. The Clock of Let's Get Serious is now ticking.

If you'd like to help out, you can easily tell friends about the book by clicking here. If you contribute any amount from $1 on up at our Kickstarter page, you will get a bonus art download in addition to whatever rewards you choose! Will you help us? Because we would love to create this book and pay our authors pro rates for their work.



Jamie Lackey lives in Pittsburgh with her husband and their cat. Her fiction has been published by over a dozen different venues, including The Living Dead 2, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and Daily Science Fiction, and she has appeared on the Best Horror of the Year Honorable Mention and Tangent Online Recommended Reading Lists. She reads slush for Clarkesworld Magazine, works as an assistant editor at Electric Velocipede, and helped edit the Triangulation Annual Anthology from 2008 to 2011. Her Kickstarter-funded short story collection, One Revolution, is available on Amazon.com.

Jamie's story in WHAT FATES IMPOSE, "Another Will Open," gives us a look at the difference between easy answers and hard choices, and how to pick a direction. Here she is with her thoughts on where that story came from and some advice for aspiring writers.

How did you get started on developing the idea for your story in What Fates Impose?

I've never gone to have a tarot reading or my palm read, but I have used a Magic 8-Ball and eaten tons of fortune cookies, and I really liked the idea of fortune cookie giving actual advice. My original idea was way more complicated and strange than the story that I ended up with, but I think that's probably for the best.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers? Get used to rejection and don't give up. Keep writing, find a good writing group, and read a lot.

Which subjects and themes do you write about often, and why?

A lot of my stories deal free will and the characters' ability to make choices, so the theme of divination really appealed to me. I find the possibility of losing the ability to think and choose for myself terrifying, so it crops up a lot as a threat in my stories.

What's your favorite story of all the stories you've written, and why?

I'm pretty happy with all of the stories that I've written, and my favorite definitely varies from day to day. Right now, I'd choose "Seeking the Great Raymundo" at Beneath Ceaseless Skies because it's fun and I'm super happy with the ending.

What do you like and dislike about the process of writing a story for a themed anthology? I really like writing for themes. I like having an idea to start from and brainstorm with. There's no real downside for me. =)

Where can people find other published work of yours? They can check out my website at www.jamielackey.com for stories and a full list of my publications. I've got a flash fiction collection available on Amazon.com, and I have stories at Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Penumbra, and Daily Science Fiction.
 
*

Only five days left until the WHAT FATES IMPOSE Fundraising Campaign succeeds or fails on July 14, 2013. It's all or nothing!

(That URL is http://bit.ly/kickfate.)


Become a Beloved Backer on Kickstarter!


*

WHAT FATES IMPOSE Author Series

No comments:

Post a Comment