Wednesday, July 10, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Cat Rambo

Author Interview: Cat Rambo Note from Nayad: The series continues. This week I'll post interviews with authors contributing to my speculative fiction anthology, WHAT FATES IMPOSE: Tales of Divination. If you want to read strange tales about predicting the future, you've found the right book. I hope you enjoy these author interviews!

As of this afternoon we have only four more days to go on the Kickstarter Fundraising Campaign for WHAT FATES IMPOSE. We're up to $4,356 from 183 Beloved Backers. That's 87%, but we still need $644 to get to $5,000. The Countdown Is Happening. But we're so close!

If you'd like to help out, you can easily tell friends about the book by clicking here. If you contribute any amount from $1 on up at our Kickstarter page, you will get our first bonus art download in addition to whatever rewards you choose, and we're only 17 backers away from making that TWO bonus art downloads. Will you help us? Because we would love to create this book and pay our authors pro rates for their work.

Author Interview: Cat Rambo
 
(Photo by On Focus Photos, http://onfocusphoto.com)


Cat Rambo lives, writes, and teaches by the shores of an eagle-haunted lake in the Pacific Northwest. Her 200+ fiction publications include stories in Asimov’s, Clarkesworld Magazine, and Tor.com. Her short story, “Five Ways to Fall in Love on Planet Porcelain,” from her story collection Near + Far (Hydra House Books), was a 2012 Nebula nominee. Her editorship of Fantasy Magazine earned her a World Fantasy Award nomination in 2012.

Cat's story in WHAT FATES IMPOSE, "To Read the Sea," is a powerful and unsettling flash fiction story about the magical objects that come from the ocean, and the dark motivations of the people who want them.

Here's Cat to tell you about divination and the many ways to do it, as well as her thoughts on writing. *tides around the world impossibly rise all at once*

What's interesting to you about divination?

The paradoxes built into divination delight me. If we know the future, can we change it? Beyond that, there's all the wonderfully complicated methods that people have thought up, divining with entrails or dice or the mold on cheese.

Have you ever had a reading (Tarot, palm, runes, or whatever)? If so, what did you think of the experience? Was it accurate, or at least useful?

I have been reading tarot cards for myself since a teenager. I use them more as a meditative device then for fortune-telling. I have had eerie results from reading the I Ching. So I don't throw yarrow sticks anymore.

How did you get started on developing the idea for your story in What Fates Impose?

This story grew out of the idea of fortune-telling, and finding a method of telling the future that hadn't been done quite as much as some other kinds. I love beach walking, in part for the objects one runs across, and that was the second impetus behind the story.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

Stop reading things on the Internet and go write. Write lots of stories, try new things, and keep them circulating. Never take rejection personally, but as a challenge to try again.

Which subjects and themes do you write about often, and why?

Usually I deal with themes of connection between intelligent beings and the world around them. I think.

What's your favorite story of all the stories you've written, and why?

This is a tough question, and I feel a little as though all my stories will get their feelings hurt if I think too hard about it. I will say a favorite story is one I cowrote with Jeff VanderMeer, "The Surgeon's Tale".

What do you like and dislike about the process of writing a story for a themed anthology?

I find that often it's easier to write with a few constraints, so I appreciate having a theme to work towards. That said, it is sometimes difficult to place stories if they don't make it into the anthology :-)

Where can people find other published work of yours? On my website at www.kittywumpus.net. There are links to all of my fiction available online there.

*

Only four days left until the WHAT FATES IMPOSE Fundraising Campaign succeeds or fails on July 14, 2013. It's all or nothing!

(That URL is http://bit.ly/kickfate.)



Become a Beloved Backer on Kickstarter!


*

WHAT FATES IMPOSE Author Series

No comments:

Post a Comment