Thursday, January 12, 2012

Book Recommendations from My 2011 Reading

I read 50 books in 2011, and I'm not going to list them all. Here are the ones that stand out in my memory as thoroughly recommendable. They're all great, but the starred ones are super-excellent must-reads, in my opinion. Alphabetically by author:

Anthologies/Collections

  • In the Forest of Forgetting - Theodora Goss
  • Unpossible - Daryl Gregory
  • Novels

  • The Devil's Alphabet - Daryl Gregory
  • *The Magicians - Lev Grossman
  • How to Make Friends with Demons - Graham Joyce
  • The Silent Land - Graham Joyce
  • *Embassytown - China MiĆ©ville
  • The House of Discarded Dreams - Ekaterina Sedia
  • *Mechanique - Genevieve Valentine
  • Books about Writing

  • *Plot v. Character - Jeff Gerke
  • Starve Better - Nick Mamatas
  • Save the Cat! - Blake Snyder
  • Save the Cat! Goes to the Movies - Blake Snyder
  • *The Comic Toolbox - John Vorhaus
  • The Accidental Creative - Todd Henry (This one isn't strictly about writing, but I've found it to be helpful with my writing. Watch out for the business-speak in it! Still worthwhile, though.)
  • 2 comments:

    1. I'm reading The Accidental Creative and while the business references threw me a little,I could see some of the principles definitely applying to writing. I've read both Save the Cat books and had the pleasure of meeting Blake Snyder a few months before his death. He was a delight to chat with.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I was so sad when I learned that Blake Snyder had died. His books are both interesting and fun to read. I'm glad that you got to meet him!

      ReplyDelete